Feb., 16th-17th 2018
Day 1 Recap-Championship Semi-Finals: Fauquier @ 4A State Championships
Churchland HS., Portsmouth, VA
TEAM UPDATE AS OF: 2/17/2018 9:30AM
As the 4A State Championship entered the Semi-Finals on Friday night teams that advanced the most individuals in the Semi’s was Fauquier with seven wrestlers followed by Eastern View who had six wrestlers.
You may have thought seven Falcons in the Semi-Finals would have been a record by Fauquier but a further review in 2015 team Fauquier put eight in the Semi-Finals during a run to the state title then. But not here to review any past Fauquier records as the gas pedal is push down moving into day 2 of the 2018 Virginia 4A State Wrestling Championships.
By winning a State Semi-Finals match wrestlers earned 11 team points plus possible bonus points. As three teams hover on top of the leader board (Fauquier, Eastern View, and Liberty) at the start of this Championships Semi-Final round. But at the end of this round Fauquier and Eastern View earned enough wins to separate themselves from the field and controlled their own destiny for a state crown.
As Fauquier battled through their Semi-Final matches the Falcons ended up going 5-2 and extended the point total to 150pts. Eastern View almost ran the table and went 4-1 as the rest in second place with 147pts. Liberty who also had five in the Semi-Finals went 3 - 2 and rest in 3rd place with 105pts in match play.
(120) Charles Steckline (Great Bridge) won by major decision 8-0 over Gino Camarca . Camarca will drop to the Consolation side of his bracket and will wrestler for top six.
(126) Ethan Jordon scored the first take down and closed the first period with a set of back points being up 5-0 end of the first period. Jordon did not spend much time in the second period and recorded a fall 2:37 mark over Alex Sorensen (Grafton). This pin by Jordon gave Fauquier 13 points.
(132) Kyle Budd took a first period lead with a 4-0 score. Then late in the first period Budd also recorded a pin over Trevor Merrell (Deep Creek) (Fall 1:54). Budd also earned 13 team points for the Falcons.
(145) Joe Del Gallov had a great win over Jesse Alvarado (Great Bridge). A match that Del Gallo lost to at the Beast of the East and one of the key matches that team Fauquier needed a win from. Joe scored a late first period take-down to go up 2-0 at the end of this period. Beginning of the second period Joe earned an escape to go up 3-0. Joe closed out the third period with a take-down to win a tight 6-2 match. Del Gallo earned 11 team points for team Fauquier.
(170) Sam Fisher did not waste any time and recorded a fall early in the second period over Clay Foster (Jefferson Forest) (Fall 2:30). This pin by Fisher gave Fauquier 13 points.
(182) Franco Camarca earned a quick first period take-down and almost recorded a fall in the first period but boasted a 5-0 lead after the first. Camarca end strong with a 16-4 major decision over Logan Miller (Dinwiddie). This win by Camarca gave Fauquier 12 points
(220) Wade Wheeler (Amherst County) won by decision 3-2 over Tyler Raymond. Raymond like Gino Camarca will drop to the Consolation side of his bracket and will wrestler for top six.
The Finals are scheduled for 3:30PM today but Fauquier will have three wrestlers on deck Gino Camarca, Keivin McEachin, and Tyler Raymond wrestling in the Consolation Semi-Final.
If any wrestlers wins the Consolation Semi-Finals round, then they will get a chance to wrestle for 3rd place. But if any wrestler loses then they will be aligned with the 5th and 6th Finals. For team Fauquier to have a chance to take on the state crown the road will start with these three Falcons as more points will be needed by days end.
Below are the Consolations Semi-Finals pairings which will start at 10AM today.
120 Gino Camarca vs. Zane O`Conner (KETT)
160 Keivin McEachin vs. Sam Tomlinson (POW)
220 Tyler Raymond vs. Zack Kales (SHER)
The Medal round - 3rd and 4th Finals alongside the 5th and 6th Finals will take place at 12AM following the Consolations Semi-Finals.
Below are is the five Falcons that will be wrestling in the 4A Championship Finals which will start at 3:30PM today.
126 Ethan Jordon vs. Brandon Morales (GB)
132 Kyle Budd vs. Collin Gerardi (POW)
145 Joe Del Gallo vs. Ricky Ryan (LIB)
170 Sam Fisher vs. Craig Lewis (DIN)
182 Franco Camarca vs. Casen Chumley (KETT)
Teddy P's Notes:
1. 4A Region C which is Fauquier regions will have 11 representatives of the 24 Virginia State finalists.
2. The Northwestern District which is Fauquier District will have 10 representatives of the 24 Virginia State finalists.
3. Fauquier County will have 9 representatives of the 24 Virginia State finalists. Unsure of a record here but one would think that Fauquier County has never put 9 wrestlers into a Virginia State Finals.
What teams advanced the most wrestlers onto the Championship 4A State Finals:
Fauquier (5), Eastern View (4), Liberty (3), Great Bridge (3)
4A top ten Team scores going into Day 2
1 Fauquier 150
2 Eastern View 147
3 Liberty (Bealeton) 105.5
4 Great Bridge 94
5 Powhatan 92.5
6 Amherst County 55
7 Liberty Christian 53.5
8 King George 51
9 Deep Creek 50.5
10 Dinwiddie 49
Follow Fauquier on Twitter at the 4A State Championships
Follow Fauquier on Twitter at the 4A State Championships > >
4A States Championships > >
TRACK WRESTLING LIVE RESULTS:
FACEBOOK EVENT: Tell us if you are going to this event
7:00 - 9:00 WEIGH-IN FOR ALL WEIGHTS
9:00 – 3:00 FIRST ROUND/FIRST ROUND CONSO
3:00 – 5:00 QUARTER-FINAL MATCHES
6:00 – 7:30 SECOND ROUND CONSOLATIONS
7:30 – 9:30 SEMI-FINALS AND QUARTER-FINAL CONSO
8:00 – 10:00 WEIGH-IN FOR ALL WEIGHTS
10:00 – 12:00 SEMI-FINAL CONSOLATIONS
12:00 - 2:00 CONSO FINALS (3rd/4th, 5th/6th)
3:30 – 6:00 CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS AND AWARDS
Round start times are tentative.
Awards will be presented between final matches
STATE CHAMPIONS: 2016 | 2015 STATE RUNNER-UP: 2017 | 2014 | 2009